Hi Everyone!! This article will share When I Set Out For Lyonnesse Questions & Answers.
This poem is written by Thomas Hardy. In my previous posts, I have shared the questions and answers of A Visit To Cambridge, This is Jody’s Fawn and The Summit Within so, you can check these posts as well.
When I Set Out For Lyonnesse Questions & Answers
- Lyonnesse – (in Arthurian legend) the mythical birthplace of Sir Tristram, in England, believed to have been submerged by the sea; here an imaginary place.
- Rime – frost
- The spray – leaves and branches of trees; foliage
- Durst – (poetic word for) dared
- Bechance – happen/chance to happen
- Sojourn – stay
- Radiance – glow
- Fathomless – so deep that the depth can’t be measured
Question 1: In the first stanza, find words that show
i. that it was very cold.
ii. that it was late evening.
iii. that the traveller was alone.
Question 2: i) Something happened at Lyonnesse. It was
Question 3: ii) Pick out two lines from stanza 2 to justify your answer.
Answer: “No prophet durst declare;
Nor did the wisest wizard guess”.
Question 4: i) Read the line (stanza 3) that implies the following.
‘Everyone noticed something, and they made
guesses, but didn’t speak a word’.
Answer: ‘All marked with mute surmise’.
ii) Now read the line that refers to what they noticed.
Answer: “My radiance rare and fathomless”.
So, these were When I Set Out For Lyonnesse Questions & Answers.