Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers

Hi Everyone!! This article will share Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers.

In my previous posts, I have shared the questions and answers of Teeth and Tongue, Organisations That Help Us and Amazing Animals so, make sure to go through that post as well.

Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers

About 29 percent of the Earth’s surface is covered with land and 71 percent is covered with water. The land is high at some places and low or flat in others. This unevenness gives rise to its various physical features such as valleys, mountains, plateaus, plains and deserts. These physical features are called landforms or relief features.

Question 1: Fill in the blanks:

(a) About 71 percent of the Earth’s surface is covered with water and the remaining 29 percent is land.
(b) The highest point of mountain is called peak.
(c) The landform higher than the surrounding area is known as mountain.
(d) A plateau is a flat-topped land rising from the surrounding area with steep slopes on one or more sides.
(e) The Deccan Plateau is one of the oldest plateau of the world.
(f) An archipelago is a group of islands located together in the ocean.
(g) Ladakh is a cold desert located in India.

Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers

Question 2: Choose the correct option:

(a) The world’s largest hot desert.

i. ladakh
ii. Gobi
iii. karakum
iv. Sahara

(b) The longest river in the world.

i. River Indus
ii. River Ganga
iii. River Nile
iv. River Amazon

(c) The largest freshwater river island.

i. Lakshadweep
ii. Andaman
iii. Majuli
iv. Nicobar

Question 3: Write True or False:

(a) A valley is a flat topped land rising from the surrounding area – False
(b) A peninsula is a landform that is surrounded by water on all sides – False
(c) Plains are mostly fertile and therefore favourable for growing crops – True
(d) The Rocky Mountains are situated in Asia – False  

Question 4: Name the following:

(a) The summit of a mountain.
Answer: Peak

(b) Any one example of plains.
Answer: The Northern Plains of India

(c) The landform that is dry with scanty rainfall and few trees or plants.
Answer: Desert

(d) A land area that is surrounded by water on all sides.
Answer: Island

(e) Name the highest mountain peak in the world.
Answer: Mount Everest

(f) Name the world’s largest hot desert.
Answer: The Sahara desert in Africa

Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers

Question 5: What is a mountain range?

Answer: A series of mountains arranged in a line is called a mountain range.

Question 6: What is a valley?

Answer: A valley is a low area of land between hills or mountains. For example – Narmada River Valley

Question 7: State any two features of plains.

Answer: Two features of plains are:

  • They are large areas of flat land.
  • Plains are mostly fertile and so, they are favourable for growing crops.

Question 8: Differentiate between

(a) Mountain and Plateau.

MountainPlateau
A mountain is a landform higher than the surrounding area.A plateau is a flat-topped land rising from the surrounding area with steep slopes on one or more sides.

(b) Mountain and Plain

MountainPlain
A mountain is a landform higher than the surrounding area.Plains are large areas of flat land.

Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers

Question 9: What is a peninsula?

Answer: A peninsula is a landform that is surrounded by water on three sides. For example – the southern part of India.

Question 10: Write any two features of archipelago.

Answer: The two features of archipelago are:

  • An archipelago is a group of islands located in the ocean.
  • They are also called island chains, island groups, and a cluster of islands.

Question 11: Define a plateau. Name two world famous plateaus.

Answer: A plateau is a flat topped land rising from the surrounding area. The Tibetan Plateau and the Deccan Plateau.

Question 12: Study the following picture answer the questions:

(a) Identify the landform.
Answer: This landform is an Island.

(b) Give two examples of this landform.
Answer: Australia, Sri Lanka

Question 13: What makes the Majuli Island unique from the other islands of India?

Answer: Unlike the other islands that are surrounded by water generally in an ocean or a sea, Majuli Island in Assam is the largest freshwater river island in the world.

So, these were Our World and Its Physical Features Questions & Answers.