Hi Everyone!! This article will share The Darkling Thrush MCQs.
This poem is written by Thomas Hardy. In my previous posts, I have shared the questions & answers of An Education in Science, The Triantiwontigongolope and Haroun Meets Iff so, you can check these posts as well.
The Darkling Thrush MCQs
Question 1: Choose the correct option:
1. Which of the following establishes the setting of the poem?
(a) A coppice gate
(b) Household fires
(c) Frost was spectre-grey
(d) Strings of broken lyre
2. What kind of poem is ‘The Darkling Thrush’?
(a) An ode
(b) An elegy
(c) A fable
(d) A war poem
3. ‘Darkling means’ what?
(a) Hidden in the dark
(b) Dark night
(c) Darkish night
(d) Obscure night
4. Which of the following words best expresses the meaning of ‘outleant’?
(b) Leaning out
(c) On display
5. Where was the poet leaning upon?
(a) A wall
(b) Huge iron gate
(c) Wooden gate
(d) A boundary wall
6. The poem symbolically mourns________
(a) the dimming of light
(b) the passing of an era
(c) the people going home and seeking their household fires
(d) the onset of winter
7. What do you mean by ‘Winters drags made-desolate’?
(a) Winter is drawing to its close and making everyone cheerless.
(b) Winter makes everyone cheerless.
(c) Winter is approaching near.
(d) Winter is drawing to its close.
8. A bird with brown back and brown spots on its chest is called
9. Which theme is NOT mentioned in the poem?
(a) Despair and isolation
(b) Nature and the decline of human civilization
(c) Hollowness of war
(d) Hope and renewal
10. Identify the figure of speech used in ‘Frost was spectre-grey’.
11. What is not true about the setting of the poem?
(a) Leafless trees of December
(b) Chirping of birds
(c) Grey landscape of winter dusk.
(d) Frost covering trees and land
12. According to the literary device personification, ‘The weakening of eye of day’ means
(a) Weakening of eyes is done at day.
(b) The day is making eyes weak.
(c) The day has an eye like a human being.
(d) We have weak eyes in a day
13. The poet wrote the poem to express his feelings about the world when it was about to enter______
(a) the seventeenth century
(b) the nineteenth century
(c) the twentieth century
(d) the twenty-first century
14. What type of imagery is used in ‘the tangled fine-stems scoring the sky’?
(a) Olfactory imagery
(b) Visual imagery
(c) Tactile imagery
(d) Auditory imagery
15. In the poem, the bird thrush is a symbol of what?
16. What is the meaning of ‘broken lyre’?
(a) Broken stringed musical instrument
(b) Broken piano
(c) Broken flute
(d) Broken drum
17. The ‘broken lyre’ is a classic image of
(a) lack of joy in the poet’s vision of life
(d) both (a) and (b)
18. What is fine-stems?
(a) Stems of a climbing plant
(b) Stems of plants
(c) Stems hanging
(d) Stems of trees
19. Who is mourning at the burial of corpse?
20. Whose voice arose among the bleak twigs?
21. What is the significance of the line ‘The ancient pulse of germ and birth’?
(a) Birth and life cycle
(b) Plant cycle
(d) Man and nature
22. What is the meaning of the word ‘Canopy’?
(a) A cover that hangs above
(b) Hard covering
(d) An overhead roof
23. Which figure of speech is ‘The centurys’ corpse outlent’?
24. What is the meaning of ‘Curolings’?
(a) Hope of good fortune
(b) Singing of songs
25. Which century is going to end in the poem?
(a) 17th century
(b) 18th century
(c) 19th century
(d) 20th century
26. The end of the poem ‘The Darkling Thrush’ is
(d) None of the above
So, these were The Darkling Thrush MCQs.