Hi Everyone!! This article will share Today I Wrote This Poem Questions & Answers.
Written by Kenn Nesbitt, this poem is about a subject that most children find boring or difficult: poetry! In my previous posts, I have shared the questions & answers of The Stranger at Benbow Inn, Androcles and the Lion and Meeting GG Grandpa so, you can check these posts as well.
Today I Wrote This Poem Questions & Answers
- Metaphors – words or phrases that describe a thing by calling it something else
- Simile – a phrase that compares one thing to another using words such as ‘like’ or ‘as’
- Narrative – here, a story
- Alliteration – the repetition of a letter or sound which creates a musical effect
- Acrostic – a poem in which the first letters of each line can be read downwards to form a word that is usually the topic of the poem
- Diamante – a poem of seven lines where the text forms the shape of a diamond
- Haiku – a traditional Japanese style of poetry with three lines and usually seventeen syllables
- Personified – given human qualities
Question 1: Choose the correct option:
1. The poem that the narrator wrote had
2. The narrator_________writing the poem.
Question 2: Who do you think is ‘I’ in the poem – the poet or a schoolchild? Give reasons for your answer.
Answer: ‘I’ in the poem is a schoolchild. Throughout the poem, she talks about her teacher in class who had taught them what a poem should necessarily contain. In the end, she is delighted to be appreciated for her poem.
Question 3: According to the teacher, what elements should a good poem have?
Answer: According to the teacher, a poem should have various figures of speech like metaphors, similes, alliteration and personification. It should be a narrative expressing heart-felt feelings. It should either be an acrostic, diamante or haiku. It should also have a well-defined plot or a theme.
Question 4: What do you think the phrase ‘she made a fuss’ in the last stanza really means?
Answer: The teacher initially made a fuss as the poem did not contain any of the good elements of poetry. It was not a conventional type of poem adhering to the rules of poetry. But she actually enjoyed reading it and appreciated her style of writing.
Question 5: The poem does not have most of the elements that according to the teacher, a good poem should have. Do you think the poem is good? Why? Why not?
Answer: The poem had no metaphors, similes, alliteration or personification which according to the teacher were necessary elements of a good poem. I liked the poem as it is the natural outflow of the child’s emotions. It expresses the child’s fear of not being able to come to the teacher’s expectations as far as the poem had no figures of speech, plot or theme. But the teacher finds it a perfect poem as it came straight from the heart.
Question 6: Why do you think the speaker’s teacher liked the poem even though it didn’t have all those things?
Answer: The speaker’s teacher liked the poem even though it didn’t have all those things because she gave him an A++++.
So, these were Today I Wrote This Poem Questions & Answers.