WordPress 5.2 “Jaco” was officially released on 7th May, 2019. It is available for download now.
It is named “Jaco” after the jazz musician Jaco Pastorius. This version comes with a lot of changes. The biggest update is the new Site Health Check Tool which will give you the essential information about your website’s health. Other updates include PHP error protection, Gutenberg Editor improvements, new emojis, dashicons, and many accessibility updates.
So, let’s dive into all the new updates and changes to the new WordPress 5.2.
What’s New In WordPress 5.2 “Jaco”
Site Health Check
In the new update, WordPress has added a Site Health Check Tool which is very helpful to the users as well as developers. It helps you to debug configuration issues, PHP version, etc.
To see your website’s Site Health Status, under “Tools” click on “Site Health”. You will see a page called Status. This shows important information about your WordPress that you need to fix.
PHP Error Protection
This new feature in WordPress 5.2 is very helpful to bloggers. This features easily recognizes PHP errors and pauses the offending plugin or theme. For people who aren’t a tech developer, this is a great feature. It also protects you from WordPress white screen while updating PHP.
Gutenberg Editor Improvements
A lot of improvements have been to Gutenberg Editor:-
- Text and Media blocks enhanced
- Image resizers improved
- Performance of Gutenberg improved in terms of loading time.
- Updates have been made to Paragraph block such as the addition of Justify alignment option, adding a code, strikethrough, underline and inline image.
You can also check my post on How To Justify Text In Gutenberg Editor.
Introduction of New Blocks
- Search Block – Adding the search feature in your posts & pages.
- RSS Block – It allows you to display your RSS Feed in your WordPress posts and pages.
- Calendar Block – It acts as the Archives widget of WordPress which displays a calendar of your posts. It allows the users to click on a date and view your published posts.
- Amazon Kindle Embed Block – It allows you to embed content from Amazon Kindle.
- Tag Cloud Block – Displays a tag cloud in your content.
New Emojis and Dashicons
WordPress 5.2 has added the latest version of Twemoji which is Twemoji 12.0. This version has Emoji Version 12 which includes 230 new emojis.
Dashicons are used to make your WordPress Dashboard attractive. This was the time of update as they haven’t changed since WordPress 4.5. They have installed 13 new icons.
So, this was some information on the new WordPress 5.2 update. If you found this post informative then, please share it with your friends and colleagues. If you have any doubts or suggestions regarding the post then, please comment in the comment box below.