Hi Everyone!! This article will share Television as God Questions & Answers.
This poem is written by Tijan M. Sallah. In my previous posts, I have shared the questions and answers of The Pipe Lighter, Bombay to Bangalore and How Daddy Was Always Late so, you can check these posts as well.
Television as God Questions & Answers
- Crania – the parts of the skull that enclose the brain
- Shrine – a place of worship
- Fortified – made stronger
- Accessed – reached and obtained
- Superficial – not serious or thorough
- Interpreters – people who explain or translate
Question 1: Choose the best answer:
1. In the first stanza the phrase ‘its priests and priestesses’ refers to
(a) people who coordinate programmes.
(b) people who read news.
(c) anchors and those who compére.
2. The word ‘crania’ means
(a) the brain.
(b) the parts of the skull enclosing the brain.
3. ‘And the daisies by my apartment-window,/Tall, yellow, as the fingers of the sun.’ Identify the figure of speech used in these lines.
(a) simile (direct comparison)
(b) metaphor (indirect comparison)
(c) alliteration (repetition of the same sound)
(d) personification (something abstract that is represented in the form of a person)
4. The poet says, ‘Television has trapped everyone’ with a sense of
5. In the phrase ‘in its shrine’ the word ‘it’ refers to
(b) the daisies.
(d) the sun.
Question 2: Write what the following lines mean.
1. ‘They perhaps lost the competition.’
Answer: It means that plants in the flower pots by the apartment-window have failed to attract the attention of the people and they are neglected.
2. ‘Television has trapped everyone in its shrine.’
Answer: Everyone is glued to television and they spend all their time watching TV.
3. ‘And their grammar is as good as chimpanzees’.’
Answer: Children are glued to TV. They don’t have time for studies so, they are poor in studies and their grammar is very weak.
Question 3: Why are the daisies sad?
Answer: The daisies are sad because they are neglected by the people in the house.
Question 4: What does the poet say about students in school?
Answer: The poet says that students do poorly in school because they spend all their time watching television and hardly learn anything. As a result, their grammar is very weak.
Question 5: What kind of god is television?
Answer: Television is a special kind of god and it has complete control over people. It is a god that speaks, smiles, acts and keeps everyone glued to it.
Question 6: How is ‘the truth of the world’ accessed?
Answer: The truth of the world is accessed through the superficial words of the interpreters of television and people take those superficial words as truth.
So, these were Television as God Questions & Answers.